Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Art of Networking!



People make the world go-round. You've heard that saying, right? Well, I can't hold that saying to truth, but, I do believe people are here to help us along our journey's.


Just yesterday I had such a fulfilling conversation with a friend of mine who is a Professor at Texas Women's University. It turns out we have such similar interest with writing. She is currently working on her first novel and I have a finished novel that's about to undergo editing to be published soon. It was such a blessing to speak with her about my writing journey. We both agreed that it's great meeting other people who share the same passions that you do. It helps on so many levels.

I've come to realize that networking and connecting with people is an art. There's so much good that comes to meeting others and developing a support system. I'm sure many can agree; being an artist certainly places you in a very unique group. I see it all the time and hear about it too. When you have dedicated yourself to the beauty of art in any form, you easily learn that not many "civilians" are as interested in what you do. Most of the time, it's because they don't understand your love and passion for it. That's primarily why actors network with actors, writers network with writers, photographers network with photographers. Musicians do the same. We are a unique people that freely desire to use our talents... and it's even more special when you can use them for the Lord.

I'll use myself as an example.

When I first started writing, years ago as a child, I had no idea about networking. I was so young, yet, I was very determined. So, inspite of objections and even some rejection, I decided to keep pressing forward. Now, years and years later when I got more serious with my pen, the Lord showed me how much I needed to network and meet others with similar goals and interest. This prompt me to research and find organizations in my area. And so, I started to attend groups specificially for writers. I can't explain how excited I was to meet other people who loved to write as much as I do! I learned how to network and I've met such amazing people through my experience thus far.

Here are a few tips to help you network!

1) Step Out and Meet People- don't be afraid to meet people. They can really help steer you along your journey. You never know who God is placing in your path.

2) Develop a hunger for knowledge- it's a lot easier to learn things from others if you have a willingness to learn. You don't know it all, so come prepared to learn.

3) Research groups and organizations for your benefit- Whatever your interest is, I'm sure there's an organization out there for you. Do your homework. Search online for local groups and then check in with them. Learn how you can become a part of their group. If you have no time to join an outside group, look for online groups. They are out there too and are as effective!

4) Stay Connected- one group meeting isn't enough. Really chime in and stay connected. Focus on building relationships rather than thinking about only getting what you need from the group. This helps to build great friendships!


I really hope these tips help you network and connect with others in your particular interest. I'm sure it will be more of a benefit to you if you were to take note of these suggestions!


Questions? Comments? Concerns about this topic? I'd love to hear from you!


Blessings,
Kennisha Hill | www.kennishahill.com

0 comments: